On May 6, 2023, the Federation of Africa University Sports (FASU) held its General Assembly at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, following the FISU-FASU Strategic Dialogue on the theme “Unlocking Africa’s Potential.” The event marked an important moment, with the election of a new Executive Committee to lead FASU for the next four years. The newly elected FASU Executive Committee is composed of the following members:
- President: Prof. Sobhy Ashrat (Egypt)
- 1st Vice President: Muzuva Tsitsi (Zimbabwe)
- 2nd Vice President: Ahshad Tariq (Libya)
- Secretary General: Peninnah A. Kabenge (Uganda)
- Treasurer: Rono Kibet Alfred (Kenya)
- Internal Auditor: Chidiebere Ezeani (Nigeria)
- Student Representative: Emmanuel Aupal (Uganda)
The election results were announced, with Prof. Sobhy Ashrat elected as the new FASU President, Muzuva Tsitsi from Zimbabwe as the 1st Vice President, Ahshad Tariq from Libya as the 2nd Vice President, Rono Kibet from Kenya as the Treasurer, Chidiebere Ezeani from Nigeria as the Internal Auditor, and Emmanuel Aupal from Uganda as the Student Representative. Peninnah A. Kabenge retained her position as FASU Secretary General unopposed.
The newly elected FASU Executive Committee members will bring fresh ideas and energy to FASU and work together to promote university sports in Africa. FASU congratulates the newly elected Executive Committee and wishes them all the best in their roles.